Georgia is a state of beautiful lakes and beaches. Accordingly, boating and water sports are popular activities for tourists and residents alike. Boating can be a dangerous activity, however, as the US Coast Guard reports that there were 4,100 accidents in 2015 alone. If you or a loved one was in a boating or watercraft accident in North Georgia, you need experienced personal injury attorneys to earn you proper compensation from a wrongful death or negligence lawsuit.
Types of Boats and Watercraft
An accident at a lake or beach can be caused by any boat or watercraft. Our attorneys handles accident cases involving the following personal watercraft:
- Speed boats
- Fishing Boats
- Sail Boats
Causes of Boating Accidents
Operating a boat or a recreational vessel is a lot like driving a car. The operator must be aware of his or her surroundings, operate the boat in a responsible manner and have enough experience to know the proper handling of the vessel. Failure to adhere to safety precautions causes accidents where serious injury and death are likely. Common causes of boating accidents include:
- Operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Operating the boat without fully understanding the controls
- Boating in areas where watercraft are not permitted
- Operating the boat without anyone’s assistance
- Operating in hazardous weather conditions
- Failure to pay close attention to one’s surroundings
- Operating in a reckless, aggressive or careless manner
- Failure to maintain the boat or watercraft’s equipment
- General acts of negligence or acts in violation of water sport laws
Any of the above can lead to serious accidents which result in a personal injury lawsuit. The injured party likely sustained medical bills and other financial burdens, so proper legal counsel is necessary to prevent a large monetary loss for the victim.
With Lake Lanier close by, our Cumming office serves many clients involved in boating and watercraft accidents. If you are considering a personal injury lawsuit, call Banks, Stubbs and McFarland today for experienced legal representation!